Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Fear



Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love.
1 John 4:18, NLT

I wrote a little bit about this once before.

It comes up again, because I've been going to a Bible study, and we've been forced to confront our weaknesses and where we need to grow.

I am a fearful person.  Here is a partial list of things I am afraid of:

  • pain
  • something bad happening to my children, any one of them
  • something bad happening to anybody I love (family members and/or friends)
  • heavy traffic
  • driving on slippery roads with no visibility
  • getting lost
  • strange, unexplained noises at night
  • big bills
  • making mistakes
  • being disliked
  • being treated unkindly
  • leaving something hot plugged in and turned on after I've left the house
  • losing things
  • being burgled
  • cats
  • cliffs
  • deep, murky water
  • getting stranded in the desert on a 108 degree day without water
  • my furnace failing
  • change
  • did I say pain?

Unfortunately, I also have a vivid imagination, so at any given time, I could be imagining any number of disastrous scenarios in multicolored extravagant detail, giving myself a stomach ache, heart palpitations and damp spots under my arms.

I need God to help me overcome my fears.

Things I know are true, that should help me trust God and not be afraid:

  • God loves me.
  • God is sovereign.
  • Nothing is impossible for God.
  • Nothing happens without the permission of God.
  • God loves me.
  • God is for me (He's on my side).
  • God is always with me; He will never leave me.
  • Nothing escapes God's attention.
  • God loves me.
  • God is compassionate.
  • God forgives us in Christ; He does not treat us as our sins deserve.
  • God has a purpose for me, for my life.
  • God will fulfill His purposes.
  • God loves me.

But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you.
Psalm 56:3, NLT

Since he did not spare even his own Son 
but gave him up for us all, 
won’t he also give us everything else?
Romans 8:32, NLT

Give all your worries and cares to God, 
for he cares about you.
1 Peter 5:7, NLT 


I should not live in fear.  God knows everything that is going to happen to me, even before it happens, and He has it all under control.  Whatever He brings into my life, He will stand by and carry me through.  He is not looking to punish me.  I am His beloved child, bought with the precious blood of Christ.  Jesus already took my punishment.  I may need to be taught, disciplined, pruned so I can be more fruitful... but He is not out to get me, only to purify and perfect me for His purpose and His Kingdom, neither of which can fail.

His victory is certain, already accomplished at the cross.

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Philippians 1:21, ESV

Please God, help me not to be afraid.



1 comment:

  1. I love the verses you chose. God's word is the best weapon, of course you already know that! I am also pretty fearful, that's why i usually start the day by singing "When i am afraid, give me Jesus."

    ReplyDelete