Saturday, November 5, 2011

Proverbs 30:7-9

I've just been thinking about this passage lately. The first time I read it, I forgot where I had seen it. I thought it was out of "some book" -- but I didn't realize it was from the Bible. I told some friends, "I read some book somewhere, and the author said ..." (and here I gave the gist of the passage). My friends laughed at me and told me, "That guy was the writer of Proverbs, and that is from the Bible!"

Anyway, it is a very good sentiment. I'm quoting it from the NLT, for accessibility. My kids would complain and say, "Read it from the real Bible." At least, that was how they felt in the olden days. But I kind of like the NLT. I do not, however, approve of The Message. A subject for a different day. Let's get on to the scripture:

O God, I beg two favors from you;
let me have them before I die.
First, help me never to tell a lie.
Second, give me neither poverty nor riches!
Give me just enough to satisfy my needs.
For if I grow rich I may deny You and say, "Who is the LORD?"
And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God's holy name.

(Proverbs 30:7-9, NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment