Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Jesus the Almighty

It is one thing to know that someone deeply loves you and wants to take good care of you.  It is one thing, a very nice thing, in fact.

It is another thing, and a better thing, to know that someone who deeply loves you has the absolute unlimited power and authority to be able to take good care of you.

Jesus loves me.  And Jesus has the power to take care of me.

One day Jesus said to his disciples, 
“Let’s cross to the other side of the lake.” 
So they got into a boat and started out. 
As they sailed across, Jesus settled down for a nap. 
But soon a fierce storm came down on the lake. 
The boat was filling with water, 
and they were in real danger. 
The disciples went and woke him up, 
shouting, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!” 
When Jesus woke up, 
he rebuked the wind and the raging waves. 
Suddenly the storm stopped and all was calm. 
Then he asked them, “Where is your faith?” 
The disciples were terrified and amazed. 
“Who is this man?” they asked each other. 
“When he gives a command, even the wind and waves obey him!”
 ~Luke 8:22-25 (NLT)

As a child and ever since, I have never been very afraid of storms.  Sometimes the power of the wind awes me, but I always seem to feel the power of God in the weather.  I cannot fear it with the abject terror that I have of things like dark parking lots, congested city bridges and youths of ill-repute sauntering down dubious urban streets.  Jesus controls the weather.  The wind blows where He sends it, and the rain falls when He tells it to fall.

When Jesus gives a command, even the wind and the waves obey Him.

Jesus is Almighty and able to take care of me in every situation that He allows into my life. 

Here we see Jesus commanding the weather, but the Bible also tells us that He controls the hearts of men.  I do not need to fear even the criminal who may be hiding in the dark parking lot, the crazy drivers on the bridge, or the youths in their low-hung pants.  God has perfect power over them, too.

Of course, I should still be careful.  Just as I should leave the seashore when a hurricane is rolling in, I should not place myself in situations where obvious danger lurks, just to test the providence of God.  But when He brings a storm, or another fearful situation, I can rest in the knowledge that:


  1. He is omniscient.  He knows everything about everything that is happening to each of us, all of the time.
  2. He loves me, and His heart is full of kindness and compassion.
  3. He is omnipotent.  He has all the power and all the authority.  Nobody can thwart Him in caring for me, protecting me, and comforting me.

God has spoken plainly, 
and I have heard it many times: 
Power, O God, belongs to you; 
unfailing love, O Lord, is yours.
~Psalm 62:11 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment