Monday, January 20, 2014

Jesus the Healer

When I put my faith in Jesus at the tender age of four, I think that circumstances in my life had conjoined under the will of God to plow up my little heart and make me ready.

Preschool Sunday school and Bible school stories about Jesus had fed my soul.  I knew that He was good and loving, gentle and kind, supernatural and amazing.

I want to do a short series here about Jesus, highlighting the character He displayed while He walked the roads of Judea in the warm, dusty Middle East.

So here is my scripture for today:

Jesus went on from there 
and walked beside the Sea of Galilee. 
And he went up on the mountain and sat down there. 
And great crowds came to him, 
bringing with them the lame, the blind, the crippled, 
the mute, and many others, 
and they put them at his feet, and he healed them,
so that the crowd wondered, 
when they saw the mute speaking, the crippled healthy, 
the lame walking, and the blind seeing. 
And they glorified the God of Israel.
Matthew 15:29-31 (ESV)

There are other passages like this one, where Jesus had compassion on crowds of people, reaching out to them and healing all who came to Him (see Matthew 14:14 and Mark 6:34). 

Jesus had compassion, and Jesus had power.  When you have both compassion and power, you can do a lot of good.  I wish I had more compassion and more power.  I would love to be a healer.

Jesus still has compassion, and Jesus still has power.  He is on our side, helping us, sustaining us, comforting and healing us.  He is at the right hand of the Father, interceding on our behalf (Romans 8:34).  He is our advocate and our friend.

When we see Jesus' power at work, we glorify God.  I need to pray that I will see and glorify more.


No comments:

Post a Comment