Friday, January 17, 2014

Thirsting for God

As the deer
pants for streams of water,
so my soul
pants for You, O God.
My soul
thirsts for God,
for the living God.
When can I go
and meet with God?
~Psalm 42:1-2 (NIV)

When are we thirsty for God?

We are thirstiest for water when we haven't had any,
or when we are hot and exhausted after working hard or running a race.

Perhaps we are thirstiest for God when we have the greatest need for Him.
Perhaps things like depression, trials, sickness and misfortune
are the very things that make us seek hard after God.

Perhaps God allows such things into our lives
precisely in order to whet our appetites for His glory,
so when He meets our need,
we stand amazed in wonder and awe,
loving Him
because we have seen His goodness
in a way we never could have apprehended
if our need had not heightened our awareness.

Some people become angry with God when difficult times come,
bitter and resentful and hard.
Others cling to Him, lean on Him,
cry out to Him day and night.

What makes the difference in a person's response?
This is a great mystery of humanity, divinity,
and perhaps election.

Lord Jesus, please make me thirsty every day.
Please let me awake at sunrise with a desire 
for You, Your Word, Your Spirit, Your presence.
Please don't make me wait until I've been through a famine
before I crave Your grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment